Google+ announced on Monday that they are now allowing businesses and brands to create their Google+ pages. For information on Google+ for business, please see the list of resources below.
What I want to talk about is the importance of claiming your business name on sites like Google+. Like many of you, the launch of Google+ makes me anxious – another presence to manage, create content for and try to build an online community on.
No one is sure what will become of Google+, if it will defeat Facebook or exactly how it is going to relate to search results. What we do know is that they sure are going to try and with the forces of Google behind them, there will be some impact.
If you don’t have a content strategy yet for Google+ or know how you are going to integrate it into your other marketing efforts, it is still important to grab your business name on Google+ page for branding purposes. This is also important for other popular social media sites you may not be participating on yet.
At this time, anyone can create a business page for anything they want without proof that that are associated with that URL or entity. Big brands will soon have a verification process but for many of us that will not apply. So in theory, anyone can set up a page under your business name and URL. I doubt it will turn into the Wild West but it makes sense to protect your brand before an issue arises.
We probably have all heard by now the struggles some businesses have had getting control of Facebook pages and Twitter accounts set up by a fan, an enemy or a rogue employee. Let’s not let that happen with Google+ too. Setting up a Google+ business page takes a matter of seconds. Trying to reclaim your business name by complaining to Google or the page creator could take hours, days, or even months.
Not ready to fully participate yet?
If you are not ready to participate on Google+ yet, that is fine. Set up your page, fill in the fields allotted and let it rest until you are ready.
Depending on your corporate voice you could:
- Leave a first status update that you set up the page but are working on the best way to use this new space
- Update your status with other ways people can currently connect with you
- Post links of some of your best older content from your site or blog that could use new eyeballs etc.
There are plenty of options on how to start your Google+ strategy but the first and most important thing is claim your space and protect your brand. Also, with Google+ brand pages you can create multiple pages. If you have a popular event, product or service that should stand alone from your business page – you should claim that too.
Resources on Google+ for businesses:
- Upcoming Hall Webinar – What are Businesses Supposed to do with Google+?
- Search Engine Land – Google+ Pages Now Open For Businesses, Brands, Places & More
- Google Blog – Google+ Pages: connect with all the things you care about
- Mashable – Google+ Launches Branded Pages
- SocialFresh – How To Create A New Google+ Page And Connect It To Google Search
Photo credit: Elke.Fleing