Morgan Stanley has just revealed last month’s Internet Trends Report which has some very intriguing statistics regarding Social Networking sites.
Here are some of the highlights from the 72 page document:
- 6 out of the TOP 10 Most visited sites on the Internet ARE Social Networking sites. YouTube, Facebook, Hi5, Live.com, MySpace and Wikipedia all made the list.
- 5 out of the 6 didn’t even make the list in 2005. Within 3 years our internet experience has been drastically changed by the introduction of social media, networking and sharing sites.
- in 2008 YouTube has surpassed Google and Yahoo in number of Page Views
- Facebook has grown by 305% – largely in part to it’s ‘stickiness’, open application platform, and recent open invitation strategy.
- Top 5 Facebook Applications are: Superwall, Top Friends, FunWall, SuperPoke and Movies.
- Top 5 Searches according to Google Zeitegist: iPhone, Badoo, Facebook, Daily Motion & Webkinz.
- Amazon.com is still the Largest Online Retailer
- Internet Advertising spend is up 26% making it the biggest advertising mover.
- 80% of Internet Users deem the internet as an important source of information, where as radio and newspaper only received 63% importance.
View the full Morgan Stanley Internet Trend Report: